Birds of a feather - fast fixes

You find something that's a little off but you still like it. Can it be fixed?

A big acrylic painting of three birds catches my eye in a Bali market stall. It's a stereotypical painting that is generally interesting and balanced. The vendors try to talk me into "something more expensive and worthwhile."

No thanks. This is the one for me. We negotiate $10 for the 26"X36" painting.

One head is disappearing into the background trees. And the central intersection of branches, tails, and beaks is visually confusing. Those are easily reworked with a handful of acrylic markers.

To match the yellow added to the neck of the back bird, I paint a touch of yellow on the necks of the 2 foreground birds. Immediately the heads stand out against the background.

I also reshape the black-and-white tail and the brown body of the background bird. The branches get a light coat of green to fade into the background. The subtle touches make sense of what I'm seeing.
Wasn't there a big poster left by the last tenants in the abandoned house next door.? The poster is dated and useless. But the frame and mat are just the right color and size for the painting. It has non-glare glass, too. I swap out the old poster for the new painting.

Set on a picture rail, I'm delighted with my $10 find.

Popular posts from this blog

Can it be Thursday?

Imaginary portrait of Katarina - process

How a mural happens